Sunday, February 3, 2013

Memories of Grandma Dahlgren

Grandma Dahlgren with Lisa and Michael (baby) Dahlgren - 1958

FROM STEPHANIE LOGAN:
Back in the "old" days when I was in my early teens I remember spending a few weeks in the summer at Grandma Dahlgren's house. One day Linda (Austin), Steve (Oxley) and I were out running around town and it started raining.
We ran back to Grandma's house where she gave us some hot chocolate. Since I was staying there I had some dry clothes. I remember sharing my clothes with Linda, but Steve ended up in one of Grandma's bathrobes until she could dry his clothes, which back then meant they hung near the stove since there was no dryer.  While we enjoyed our hot chocolate we decided to play poker at the dining room table.  This dining room table held a lot of good memories. Not only did Linda and I take all Steve's baseball cards at that time, but I remember enjoying hot chocolate in one of Grandma's fragile tea cups. It was a great day.  (We gave Steve back his cards later that day.)

I remember one time in Bradford where I was bored,  Linda was busy and Uncle Amos was visiting. Grandma decided she wanted to get out so Uncle Amos drove us to Rock City. Even though they were up in age at that time, they tromped through the woods on paths that were a bit steep even for me. It was my special time with two special people. 

When Grandma was in the hospital in Meadville I remember my mom and I taking the drive from Akron to visit her. She looked so frail. Not anything like the grandma I remember carrying a basket of clothes to hang on the line then pulling them in to iron. (Taking care of laundry was how she paid the rent.) It was that trip when the doctor stopped us to tell us she probably would not live through the night. That was a tough ride home.

Finally, when Grandma died I remember the funeral home where she was laid out.  I was 15 at the time. I remember looking at the casket and all the flowers.  My mom told me that they had 52 white roses and 10 red roses put on the casket, fifty-two for the number of grandkids and great grandkids she had at the time and ten for her children.  I remember Bill Boyle and I walking around the block sharing great stories of our time with Grandma. 

Each one of us grandchildren have different stories of Grandma. These are my memories. 

Love to all,
Stef

FROM SANDY OXLEY FEHRMAN:

The recollections of a young girl, one of Iva's first grandchildren, are cherished
memories of a strong, loving and courageous Grandma.  It was through my
own mother, Esther Dahlgren Oxley, that I saw Iva as a depression-era warrior.
Iva was a tough old bird with no airs about her.  In fact, I remember well her
belching, a sudden, loud and unexpected noise that always made me jump.  I
was horrified by the lack of "manners" and yet my Mom (teacher of manners)
never criticized or made excuses for Iva.  My Grandma Dahlgren was a hero
to her daughter.  Iva was a huge presence in a room as everyone looked to her
for direction and approval.  It turns out, as I grew to know more about her, that
she wasn't only too big for the room, or the house, but for the times.  Iva
was an example to her family of the power of the will; the desire to raise children
with a respect for education and for honesty and integrity. 
Iva married Alexander Dahlgren, a Swedish immigrant and a tailor from "the
old country".  Alexander was a man I learned little about and never met as he
was long gone before I came on the scene.  Iva took in Alexander's two sons
from a previous marriage and had eight more children of her own.  The eldest
daughter, second born, was my mother.  All of Iva's children were named
from the Bible and I know Iva's strength must have come, at least in part,
from her faith because, oh boy, did she need strength and courage and a
strong will!  
Alexander and Iva's marriage ended after she had eight children with him. 
During that time, she also helped Alexander raise one of his sons from his
 first marriage to Hilda Daniels.  After Alexander left the family, Iva had 
the immense responsibility of caring for the remaining children by herself.
She cleaned houses, took in laundry and ironing and was a
nanny to a wealthy family in Bradford, PA.  My mother had many responsibilities
for her siblings but when she spoke of helping at home, Esther's memories
were good ones.  It is only now, as a mother myself, that I feel great sadness
that Grandma had to worry about finances instead of enjoying raising her
children.  My mother spoke often of Iva's morals and goals for the family. 
She insisted on proper behavior, good school performance, helpfulness at
home and in the community.  Everyone helped support the family. 
Iva was strong.  She was determined and she had dreams for her children. 
She made sure everyone graduated from high school and many also
graduated from college or, at least, attended some college classes. She
was also proud of her family!  Anyone who knew her knew her love for and
pride in her family. 
My personal memories of Grandma Dahlgren were many.  She was always
so happy to see me!  She remembered that I loved chocolate cake with white
icing and hers was the best ever.  She gave me everything in the house that
I admired until my mom insisted she stop.  Iva taught me to be strong, to be
forgiving, to trust in myself, to live my faith and to love my family.  What
better legacy can there be from a Grandma?!







No comments:

Post a Comment